The California Maritime's Academy Department of Athletics boasts a long history of competitive sports. Many of the athletic programs that are in existence today have primarily grown out of activities related to the training cruise. Take a look at some of the historical milestones of Cal Maritime Athletics.
1930's & 1940's
Baseball, crew, basketball and boxing were the sporting events that students participated in on campus and cruise during this era. As you might imagine, Crew was always a main attraction and event at the school, but whaleboats (monomoys)were used instead of racing shells.
The athletic facilities as we see them today went through an evolution. When the school moved to Vallejo in 1943, the athletic program moved along with it. The gymnasium was completed in 1946. It was the first permanent structure built at Cal Maritime, but it was finished after the campus moved to its current location.
The tennis courts where we see them today actually predate the completed gym. Before the gym was completed, the basketball team and tennis program shared the courts for practice. On the hill located in the student parking lot E, commonly known as Egypt, was the old rifle range. Where the student center is located today was then the old handball courts.
The 1950's & 1960's
The basketball team (known then as the Seawolves) continued to be an extramural sport. Water polo was introduced as an intercollegiate sport in August of 1951, and by the mid-50s was the only Cal Maritime athletic squad to play Bay Area colleges (Cal Berkeley, UC Davis, and San Francisco State).
The basketball and baseball teams during this time period typically played against military squads, as opposed to college teams. Mare Island was a constant athletic opponent for the Cal Maritime's baseball and basketball teams, with most of the games played and games were played at the local Army-Navy YMCA in Vallejo.
1970's - 1980's
There was no distinction between intramural and intercollegiate athletics until the early 1970's when P.E. instructor/athletic director Harry Diavatis began scheduling and coaching basketball and organizing other sports under intercollegiate guidelines. Cal Maritime's athletic mascot, the Keelhauler, was chosen by the students in 1974.
Today, Cal Maritime has nine intercollegiate sports, four of which are affiliated with the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. Men's soccer, basketball, and golf are charter members of the California Pacific Conference. In 2004-2005, women's basketball completed its inaugural year as an intercollegiate program and is now a member of the Cal Pac. Women's water polo is the new addition to women's sports for the 2006-07 season. Rugby, sailing, crew, and water polo complete the roster of sports offered here at Cal Maritime.
The future of athletics at Cal Maritime is full of promise. Current sports continue to get stronger and participation is on the rise. The rugby team has made the play-offs two of the last three years and promises to be in national contention for the foreseeable future.
Sailing's growth has been phenomenal. During the 2010 season the offshore sailing team won the national championship and in 2011 the Keelhaulers represented the United States at the Student Yachting World Cup in France.
Thanks to these teams Cal Maritime has gone from local to international recognition.
2014 into the Future
The new Physical Education and Aquatics Center was finished and is open for business. It has become the Keelhauler home base for all recreation and intercollegiate programs. Bodnar Field was renovated turning an old grass surface into a well lit, state of the art all-weather synthetic turf stadium. Mayo Hall continues to be used for recreational sports and has offices for the ASCMA. The future looks bright for Cal Maritime!